Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Working with our hands

Do you enjoy creating things? Do you enjoy working with your hands? We recently came to realize that Robyn and I do enjoy creating things and working with our hands. I guess that's part of the reason we want to raise funds to open a family recreation business.

This past Christmas I made small jewelry boxes for the girls, and Robyn made several Christmas gifts for our kids and me. Five years ago our neighbor and I made the standing desk (see photo) that we stand in front of every day while working on our computer. (Did you see the research that came out last year about how deadly it is to sit all day? One researcher said sitting all day was just as lethal as smoking and obesity, even if you exercised an hour in the evenings.)


On a related note, a few weeks ago we went to Lowe's to buy a DeWalt drill. You would have thought I was a kid getting a new bicycle. I was so excited to get a new power tool that I gave Robyn a fist bump as the cashier rang up our purchase. (It helped that we got a 10 percent discount.) Does your significant other do anything silly like that? Robyn rolled her eyes at me, but I think that down deep she thought it was cute that I was so excited.

I have loved the woodworking projects I've done the past few years. I consider working with my hands a gift. I enjoyed my job at the university in Texas, and I loved my jobs working for the Southern Baptist Convention. But I really love when I get to work with my hands. I served several years on a chainsaw crew with Southern Baptist Disaster Relief, and I told people that I never felt more like a man than when I had a chainsaw in my hands. So it has charged my batteries working on trying to establish this business idea we call our diamond in the rough.

I continue to apply for and interview for jobs that will pay our bills, and we will pursue this dream in hopes that one day God will provide the financing for it. In the meantime, we are enjoying the challenge of trying to create something ... kind of like our grandparents and their parents did a few generations ago.

Please sign up to "like" our Facebook page and vote this week for the logo version of your choice, and ask your friends to do the same. Voting is open until Saturday. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment