Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Our new website is up and walking Part Two

Robyn and Diamond in the Rough complained that I was on the phone ALL day. In my defense, I was on the phone much of the day dealing with our new website and shopping site.

None of these web things have been easy for us. We're just not techies like some people. So I'm grateful for patient people at iPage who did walk me through the processes. As of tonight, I'm proud to say that our website is up and walking a bit faster.

I mentioned previously that we found out that we had to set up a PrestaShop site to be able to sell t-shirts and things on our iPage-hosted website. I worked much of the day getting everything just perfect on our shopping page and then did a test buy from the site. We were frustrated to discover that we could not make our purchase using a credit card, even though we already opened an iPayment account to be able to do that. So I hunted around the PrestaShop website and finally found the "module" for setting up iPayments.

Things are never easy, and enabling this module was no exception. I had to call iPayment to get our codes, but come to find out you get those from another company named Merchant Resource (the company that already charged us $19.95 twice). Once I put the codes in I got an error message saying our website had to have an SSL Certificate to protect our customer's credit card information. I'm all for that, but I thought it came with our web hosting through iPage. So I called iPage again and learned that no, it doesn't come with your website. It's another $119.95 for two years. We will need to sell five or six t-shirts just to pay for all of this business.


It is not easy to see in this photo, but when you go to our website, you get a message saying the website is not secure (see the arrow pointing to the red line through "http"). The SSL certificate was supposed to fix this.




It took another two hours to get the SSL certificate and then get that on our site. At this hour I'm still not sure you can buy anything on our shopping page with a credit card, so I'm searching for the iNeedHelp site or maybe Building Websites for iDiots.com. But first I'm going to visit iBathroom and iBed for a little rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment